12 months since operation

It’s hard to believe that 12 months ago I was just getting out of hospital after the prostatectomy. Lots of holes in my tummy and tubes hanging out of them.

Since then, life has had some interesting happenings.

The best was the birth of my new grandson, Finn, on the day I got out of hospital. He is a bonny lad and now taking his first steps.

Living in Bali has been great and trying all sorts of remedies to get the nerves working again – none of which have worked. But my PSA remains at zero – so that’s great news.

KJ has just scored a job in Wellington, NZ so we are off there in September for a new part of our life adventure. Mixed feeling about leaving Bali – I do like it here and I’m sure we will be back – we do have 2 villas in Seminyak to look after. Not looking forward to cold weather.

Before NZ we go to Canada for a month holiday – planned ages ago. Doing house swaps in Montreal and Vancouver. Looking for to the Mark Knopfler concert, in particular. Then we have 3 days back in Bali before travelling to NZ.

I will be back in Bali in October to organize what things need to be moved – hopefully by then we will know where we are living.

KJ is busy going through every cupboard, identifying what we must keep and send to NZ, what goes to Seminyak, what stays here (at least for a bit) and what gets thrown out – lots! “If in doubt, throw it out!” is my motto.

I need to get in a few massages before I leave Bali – they are way more expensive in NZ and I doubt if they are as good. So I might just head to my favourite masseuse now. Bye 🙂

PSA still zero – action below the belt not much more

My 9 month post-op PSA test recorded zero. Obviously great news.

But erections remain a thing of the past, despite, drugs, pumps and needles.

Have been trying acupuncture and acupressure but with no obvious impact. More time and patience required.

There is just so little research on how to get the nerves working again and the doctors are just guessing. I wish I had more positive info to report.

All that aside, life is great. I feel healthy and I’ve just returned first from time with all my family in Perth/Broome and more recently from a leisurely holiday to Pulau Kai in the Malukus. Can’t complain too much, I have friends going through chemo and radiation therapy. For me, life is good.

6 months – the good and the bad

The good is that I’m feeling great and recent checks have my PSA at zero. Leaking is minimal – except when I cough or sneeze.

The bad is that erections have not returned – though I know it is still early days. Injections, while they swell the penis, do not make it hard and the pain afterwards is considerable. I’m going to stop these for the moment.

Next thing to try is acupuncture. Not sure the traditional Chinese style will work – more interested in dry needling in the right areas. It’s all experimentation. And, to be honest, none of the doctors really seem to have a grasp as to what works. So I will keep trying new ideas and treatments.

80 day checkup

Back to Perth to visit the urologist and men’s health doctor.

Mostly tracking OK.

Curiously, the pathology results of my prostate only give me a 78% chance of not having an increased PSA level within 3 years.  That’s 22% chance my PSA will go up again. And the surgeon reckons the cancer had not escaped from the prostate and the lymph glands and the area marginal to the prostate showed no sign of cancer. So where does this 22% chance come from – a microscopic cell of cancer that did escape and was not detected ?! Anyway, not much I can do about it now except regularly check my PSA and live healthily.  More tomatoes and green tea. What other dietary delights have people found to have worked – at least for them?

The “Dick Doctor” gave me something to inject into my penis.  Haven’t tried it yet. He reckons it needs to be done at least once a week to keep all the cells and membranes in working order. More on this after I try it.